Sperm count, sperm quality, balanced hormone are all important factors in fertility. Zinc is one of the many components that can affect these important factors.
Zinc plays an important role in the following body functions:
1. It is important for the hormone production.
2. It helps in the production of DNA.
3. It boosts immune system.
4. It assists in wound healing.
Zinc and Woman's fertility
- Egg production. Zinc is required for the production of egg.
- Follicular fluid. Follicular fluid helps the egg to travel through the fallopian tube. Zinc can help to maintain a proper follicular fluid level.
- Hormone regulation. Zinc can help to balance the hormone level in the body.
- According to some studies, low level of zinc in the body have been found to be directly related to miscarriage in the early stage of pregnancy.
Zinc and man's fertility
- Sperm count and quality. Zinc is found in high concentration in sperm. Without zinc, a sperm cannot have the motility and strength to travel through the vagina, cervix and uterus to meet an egg as zinc is needed to make the outer layer and the tail of the sperm.
- Low level of zinc can cause defects in sperm which can then cause miscarriage.